Launch of an Exceptional Fibre Speed!

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Ooredoo Alumni

Launch of an Exceptional Fibre Speed!

[ Edited ]

In our next GIANT leap into future-proofing our network for you, we’re proud to announce the launch of our new 1Gbps Fibre plan!

The new 1Gbps plan is the fastest in Qatar, and will enable you to download a 30 minute 4K quality movie in 3 minutes, and 2 hour HD movie in 2 minutes!

This milestone puts us as one of only 10 countries in the whole world with 1Gbps Fibre!

Best of all, with our new Supernet super-speeds whole households can expect to see a smoother and faster experience, as the speed will enable more people to enjoy being connected to the Internet at the same time.

To celebrate the launch, if you upgrade your current Fibre plan to the new revolutionary 1Gbps plan you’ll get two months at no extra charge, before you start to pay the standard monthly price of QR 1,900.

Please note: while only compatible devices will be able to access speeds of up to 1Gbps, customers using the 1Gbps plan will be able to deploy more devices to their full potential in their homes.

Check how to measure your Fibre speeds correctly at ooredoo.qa/portal/OoredooQatar/fibre-faq.

Things to keep in mind:

Location and device used could affect the speed you're experincing, for example.

With Macbook Pro laptop, the best speed test result you can get is 938Mbps - 940Mbps (94%). Further investigation has concluded that this is the Max data throughput which any Laptop/PC can have with 1Gbps Ethernet port..

There is 6% protocol overhead, which are used to establish the communication between the two end points (server and PC client).

A graph of real time traffic through the ONT

Related topic:

To find out how fast is 1Gbps fibre broadband, check out this topic.

Did it solve your question? Then mark it as accepted solution!

See more topics labeled with:

6 REPLIES
mj

Re: Launch of an Exceptional Fibre Speed!

1gbp speed

Scholar

And when will you cover Musheireb / Bank Steet area ? We are still on SUPER SLOW copper ADSL...
Scholar

And what about having reasonable prices for Fibre ? In Europe, which is capital intensive to get fiber layed in urban areas, we get 1Gbps (France & Sweden at least), for around 30-40€/month, which is 160QAR at current exchange rate !!! And the basic speed is 300mbps for 120QAR...
Champion

It's a really nice addition to the Fibre, but it's really so expensive. I just can't justify the price for it now, not with the current demand at least. I can't think of any website / server that would even allow you to take advantage of half of its speed.

I can barely find sites / services that can handle the 300 Mbps I have 😂. I am happy seeing that you guys for the first time decided to go symmetrical offering equal download / upload speeds, but it makes me wonder, why not the same for the other Fibre plans too?
Not an Ooredoo employee. Please mention me (@MRizkBV) when you need help so that I get an instant email notification!
Don't forget to follow me on: Twitter (@MRizkBV) - PSN: MRizkBV - Xbox Live: MRizkBV
Tipster

@MRizkBV Where does it say symmetrical offering? I believe it follows the same 1/4 rule... 1Gbps DL and 250 Mbps UL

Champion

@amajeed Oh.. I think I misunderstood when Ms. Mona said "938Mbps - 940Mbps". I thought she meant 938 Mbps downlink, and 940 Mbps uplink.

Guess I was mistaken... And I also still have no idea why it's not symmetrical :/
Not an Ooredoo employee. Please mention me (@MRizkBV) when you need help so that I get an instant email notification!
Don't forget to follow me on: Twitter (@MRizkBV) - PSN: MRizkBV - Xbox Live: MRizkBV